Eddie Smith

Internationally known speaker, best selling Christian author, consultant and mentor, his specialty is coaching writers. Itinerant evangelist 16 yrs; pastor 14 yrs; international prayer leader 16 yrs; including “ghostwriting,” Eddie’s written too many books to mention. His and Alice's books are at: www.PrayerBookstore.com Their FREE 52-week School of Prayer is at: www.TeachMeToPray.com Postings here are by inspiration, not perspiration. Feel free to check back from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

An internationally-known Christian speaker, best selling author, business and ministry marketing consultant, and life coach.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Do we take ourselves too seriously?

Several years ago a magazine editor from New York called to interview me.
I answered my phone and the following conversation ensued.

"Hello, is this Reverend Smith?"
"No. Ma'am."
"I'm so sorry. I was calling to speak with Eddie Smith."
"That’s me, what can I do for you?"
"So this is you, Reverend Smith?"
"Yes, and no. I'm not a reverend."
"My notes say you are a minister."
"I am a minister."
"You're a minister, but not a reverend?"
"Yes ma'am."
"How is that possible?"
"Well, ma'am, I neither revere anyone nor ask anyone to revere me."

"What religion are you?"
"I don't have a religion."
"What? You're a reverend without a religion!?"
"No ma'am. I'm NOT a reverend WITHOUT a religion."
"Why don't you have a religion?"
"Because, God hates them."
"What? I thought religion was God's idea."
"No ma'am. God's idea is relationship."

After a pause, she said with an emotional crack in her voice,
"Eddie?"
"Yes ma'am."
"I wish you had a church in New York City. I think I would like to attend it."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree with the comments in this. In this age, we are very much engaged in problems and thus tend to forget God and his deeds; the way He has created, the purpose.
Thanks for this great message!

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home